Thursday, July 06, 2006

Dance Class

Well, here I am on the morning of Day #2 of my dance class (it's really a multiple intelligences class but, honestly, all were doing is dancing). Yesterday, we danced for about 5 hours, sang for a half hour, and drew the stage (yup) for another 30 minutes. We had a 45 minute lunch. At the end of the dance day (which is 9:00-4:00) we have class time from 4:00-5:00. Man was I beat on my drive home yesterday!!

The one bad thing about this course is that I can't dance. Believe me, I'm trying but it's very hard. The dance instructor guy (who's 70 and very lewd at times) is some bigshot from NYC. He's got some other dancers with him to help out. These dancers have pulled me aside (twice) for some one-on-one instruction. (Yep, I'm that bad.) After a bit of practice, I can get the dance step that they've taught but.... I can't do it all (there's a ton of dance steps we're doing) especially when he (Jacques, the dance guy) has us speed up. My legs and arms are all over the place and usually one entire dance move behind. It's pretty bad. At one point Jacques came right up to me and told me I didn't know the steps. I was embarassed and told him I was trying. The fact is, I DO know the steps, I just can't get my body to cooperate. So much for a "multiple" intelligences class. This class is just focusing on a narrow band of intelligences (such as spacial visual). My intelligence (I'm a naturalist!) has nothing to do with what we're doing! That's why it's so hard for me. Oh well. This is a 6 credit course which will be over on July 21st. I just have to do my best and try to have fun. I think part of my problem is that I'm stiffening up because I'm upset over how difficult it all is. I have to loosen up and just do my best. Ugh. Geesh, if only I had known what I was getting myself into! (When I signed up for this course I had NO IDEA that we'd be dancing all day!!) Let's hope today goes a little more smoothly than yesterday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This brings back bad memories of the two months we did ballroom dancing, polka, etc. in high school gym class. Erin was my partner, and I kept stepping on her feet. I promise I won't take you dancing when you come to visit! :)

Seradee said...

Oh yeah, I'm pretty bad. The instructor looked at me a couple of times today and whispered something to his partner instructor. I'm horrible!!